At Longdendale we truly value the formation of partnerships between home and school. One of the ways in which this can be best achieved is through homework activities.
Here at Longdendale we look at homework as an opportunity to enrich the learning of our students and believe that is a valuable learning tool which also prepares our students for the demands that they may face later on life.
Why Is Homework Important?
Homework is valuable for the following reasons:
- It can support children to make more rapid progress in learning.
- It promotes independent learning. This way of working is vital at the later stages of secondary education and will prepare them for the demands of independent revision.
- Work at home can provide the quiet and private conditions needed for creative and thoughtful work of all kinds.
- It can allow valuable practice of skills learned in the classroom.
- It can allow children to use materials and other sources of information or experiences that are not always available in the classroom.
- It can involve parents and others in the child’s work for their mutual benefit.
- It can give opportunities for long term research and other work.
- It can give pupils valuable experience of working to deadlines.
How do we set Homework?
A Student Voice survey has informed us that students would become more engaged with homework if they were given an opportunity to select the tasks that they were to complete. So as a listening community we are introducing a new KS 3 Homework policy from September that provides students with an element of choice regarding their Homework. On their first day in Longdendale your child will be given their homework booklet containing a menu of Homework activities that can be completed during the first half term. There will be a page for each subject. To ensure that where necessary homework supports current learning a number of the tasks will be directed as compulsory activities, these will be indicated with a gold star. This booklet provides your son or daughter with that choice and will hopefully enable you to support them with this enrichment opportunity.
The subject teachers in our school will support your son or daughter and will set homework deadlines but the activity will be selected by the student. To support students with this they will still have their school planner and a homework timetable.
We believe that learning can take place in many different forms and that homework does not always have to be piece of writing. We like to offer variety and believe the large range of choice will enable your son or daughter to engage in their Homework Activities.
Here, at Longdendale we recognise the different learning needs of our students and have catered for this when setting our homework. The homework activities included have different levels of challenge. The further up the page the activity sits the more difficult the level of challenge. Teacher may use this to direct your son or daughter at times and we hope that students will always ‘aim high’ when they select their homework tasks.
The Homework menus for Half Term 1 and 2 can be found on the filter.
All Homework in Key Stage 4 is designed to assist students in preparing for their final exams. This will take many forms including; research, revision, developing exam technique, and embedding new skills or new learning. The amount of homework given will vary depending on year group and subject, however students in Key Stage 4 should be completing between 1 and 2 hours per night.